CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

'Ignorance wins' as UK apostrophe society shuts down

Penny Farthing

Britain's Apostrophe Protection Society is closing down, its founder has announced, saying it had sadly lost the fight against "ignorance and laziness".

Former journalist John Richards, 96, started up the society in 2001, aiming to preserve the correct use of what he said was the "much abused punctuation mark".

Mr Richards spent the last quarter of his career as a sub-editor, preparing journalists' copy for the newspaper, a task that often involved correcting their use of apostrophes.

When he retired, he kept spotting the same glaring mistakes in daily life and decided to take action, seeing the apostrophe as an endangered species in need of protection.

But Mr Richards said that with regret, he was now closing down operations for two reasons.

"One is that at 96 I am cutting back on my commitments and the second is that fewer organisations and individuals are now caring about the correct use of the apostrophe in the English language," he wrote on the society's website.

"We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!"

The website will remain open for reference.

It gives a simple guide to readers, with examples of how apostrophes are used to denote missing letters and possession, but never plurals.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2019/1202/1096486-apostrophe-society/

13 minutes ago, Glowworm said:

Britain's Apostrophe Protection Society is closing down, its founder has announced, saying it had sadly lost the fight against "ignorance and laziness".

Former journalist John Richards, 96, started up the society in 2001, aiming to preserve the correct use of what he said was the "much abused punctuation mark".

Mr Richards spent the last quarter of his career as a sub-editor, preparing journalists' copy for the newspaper, a task that often involved correcting their use of apostrophes.

When he retired, he kept spotting the same glaring mistakes in daily life and decided to take action, seeing the apostrophe as an endangered species in need of protection.

But Mr Richards said that with regret, he was now closing down operations for two reasons.

"One is that at 96 I am cutting back on my commitments and the second is that fewer organisations and individuals are now caring about the correct use of the apostrophe in the English language," he wrote on the society's website.

"We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!"

It gives a simple guide to readers, with examples of how apostrophes are used to denote missing letters and possession, but never plurals.

Pen, you've put the link after you've quoted, verbatim, the whole text.🤔

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Glowworm said:

Piss-soaked, donkey-dicked, senile old fucking cunt.

46 minutes ago, camberwell gypsy said:

Pen, you've put the link after you've quoted, verbatim, the whole text.🤔

This could be the first sign of brain cancer. Let’s hope it’s the most aggressive type. Purely so it doesn’t suffer too long, like everyone else here has had to ffs.

Guest judgetwi
2 hours ago, Glowworm said:

Yeah great. Do you actually have a fucking point you’d like to fucking tell us about or are we supposed to fucking guess?

You’re a bit of a cunt aren’t you? (correct use of apostrophes I think, but I stand to be corrected)

Guest Salty Piss Flap
3 hours ago, Glowworm said:

That's ucks. 😉

7 hours ago, Salty Piss Flap said:

Yes, but as usual, just his own urine because he's too cheap to spend money on anything.

I realise that Americans don't understand irony, but if they did, I'm sure that you'd appreciate that a Yank commenting on a thread regarding the correct way to write the English language is the very epitome of it.

Fuck off until you learn how to utilise the letter 'U' correctly, you remedial, squalling spastic cunt.

6 minutes ago, Decimus® said:

I realise that Americans don't understand irony, but if they did, I'm sure that you'd appreciate that a Yank commenting on a thread regarding the correct way to write the English language is the very epitome of it.

Fuck off until you learn how to utilise the letter 'U' correctly, you remedial, squalling spastic cunt.

Idiot. 

• Like 1

Just now, Frank said:

Idiot. 

Morning, Frank.

Are you actually intending to do anything about the absolute fucking pasting you've received over the past few days? Because it looks like the only plan of action that you've got is to continue stropping like a premenstrual teenage girl.

You're a fucking embarrassment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Decimus® said:

Morning, Frank.

Are you actually intending to do anything about the absolute fucking pasting you've received over the past few days? Because it looks like the only plan of action that you've got is to continue stropping like a premenstrual teenage girl.

You are suffering from a sugar overload aren't you? You need to stop going into Maccy Ds for those half pounders and millionaire lattes' .

1 hour ago, Decimus® said:

Morning, Frank.

I’ll return to form once your recent disgusting nonce accusations are dealt with appropriately.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, King Billy said:

This could be the first sign of brain cancer. Let’s hope it’s the most aggressive type. Purely so it doesn’t suffer too long, like everyone else here has had to ffs.

I will now tell you a very amusing story .. I will not rake over my actual origins as I did come from a rather strange family and the two people I mention would have been related to me on an equivilent to sibling level regardless. The chances of me dying of brain cancer are above average I do know enough about what a person dying of that goes through as back in 2014 my middle sister died from the effects of a brain tumour. The progression of the effects during her month was quite distressing to see .. doubtless it was far worse for her. later in 2014 my youngest sister died of pancreat cancer .. thankfully the progression from diagnosis to death was rapid (about three weeks) and I do not think that she suffered much. Now I am not posting this to seek pity as unlike some on here I do not have a chip on my shoulder and I am reasonably happy with my life.

20 minutes ago, Glowworm said:

I will now tell you a very amusing story .. I will not rake over my actual origins as I did come from a rather strange family and the two people I mention would have been related to me on an equivilent to sibling level regardless. The chances of me dying of brain cancer are above average I do know enough about what a person dying of that goes through as back in 2014 my middle sister died from the effects of a brain tumour. The progression of the effects during her month was quite distressing to see .. doubtless it was far worse for her. later in 2014 my youngest sister died of pancreat cancer .. thankfully the progression from diagnosis to death was rapid (about three weeks) and I do not think that she suffered much. Now I am not posting this to seek pity as unlike some on here I do not have a chip on my shoulder and I am reasonably happy with my life.

What the fuck is ‘amusing’ about this?

Guest Salty Piss Flap
6 hours ago, Decimus® said:

I already do.

I leave it out of words it's not used in or not needed in. 

I also know when to utilize a z instead of an s. Something you obviously don't. 

And I don't call it a "zed", either.

You self-aggrandizing blowhard windbag pussy.

Guest Salty Piss Flap
5 hours ago, King Billy said:

Fucking idiot.

Those are the exact words Mrs King Billy answers with, when asked what is the most unpleasant thing about being married to you.

Sometimes she'll put "an" in between them, though.

8 minutes ago, Salty Piss Flap said:

Those are the exact words Mrs King Billy answers with, when asked what is the most unpleasant thing about being married to you.

Sometimes she'll put "an" in between them, though.

These pages have seen some stupendously thick fuckers over the years, salty, but nothing comes close to that yappy suburban twat king billy. I bet his poor wife is rotten to the core.