CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

Rachel Dolezel , White Woman Claiming to be Black

Guest Manila

Guest Manila

What a cunt

A liar who has claimed to be black which helped get money for college and a job as a professor  now outted by her parents as being white ;se article below 422 Comments

U.S.

N.A.A.C.P. Leader Rachel Dolezal Posed as Black, Parents Say

By RICHARD PÉREZ-PEÑAJUNE 12, 2015

Inside
Supported By

Photo
13spokane-web-master675.jpg

Rachel Dolezal, center, president of the NAACP in Spokane, Wash.,  before the start of a Black Lives Matter Teach-In in January. Credit Tyler Tjomsland/The Spokesman-Review, via Associated Press

She has professed an affinity for black people since she was a teenager, when her parents adopted four black children. She chose a college where she could immerse herself in racial issues. She married a black man and built a reputation as an advocate for civil rights.

Rachel A. Dolezal is hardly the first person to embrace a racial identity she was not born or raised in, but a rare twist in her story has suddenly turned her into a subject of national debate. Ms. Dolezal, president of her local N.A.A.C.P. chapter and a university instructor in African-American studies, has claimed for years that her heritage is partly black. And that, her parents say, is a lie.

“She’s clearly our birth daughter, and we’re clearly Caucasian — that’s just a fact,” Lawrence A. Dolezal said in an interview from his home in Montana on Friday. “She is a very talented woman, doing work she believes in. Why can’t she do that as a Caucasian woman, which is what she is?”

Continue reading the main story

Featured Comment

Lynn

Washington DC

Some of my ancestors were light enough to pass, and with that ability they went to the white parts of town to grocery shop for themselves and their friends. Never the less, they always thought of themselves as black. If this woman says shes black and walks the walk, Welcome Sister!

• 422 Comments
  • Write a comment

Ms. Dolezal did not respond to numerous phone calls, emails or knocks on her door in Spokane, Wash., on Friday, but the allegation lit up the Internet, fueled by Ms. Dolezal’s apparent refusal to give a direct answer about her racial background, and by family photos of her as a blue-eyed teenager with straight, blond hair.

Photo
13naacp-web02-master180.jpg

Rachel Dolezal in a childhood photo provided by her parents, Ruthanne and Larry Dolezal.

Ms. Dolezal, 37, quickly became a punch line on Twitter, the subject of countless barbed one-liners. But she also touched off a fierce Internet debate over the nature of race and racial categorization in America today, with commenters black and white, liberal and conservative, finding meaning in her story.

“The reason that her story is so fascinating to me and to the rest of the world is that it exposes in a disquieting way that our race is performance — that, despite the stark differences in how our races are perceived and privileged (or not) by others, they are all predicated on a myth that the differences are intrinsic and intrinsically perceptible,” wrote Steven W. Thrasher, a columnist for The Guardian.

Blacks and liberals accused Ms. Dolezal of an offensive impersonation, part of a long history in which whites appropriated black heritage when it suited them. Jonathan Capehart wrote in The Washington Post, “Blackface remains highly racist, no matter how down with the cause a white person is.” Others noted that for her, unlike black people, casting off the advantages of whiteness was a choice. “I wonder what race Rachel would become if she got stopped by the police?” the author Terry McMillan wrote on Twitter.

But many conservative commentators accused liberals of hypocrisy for accepting Caitlyn Jenner as a woman, but not Ms. Dolezal as black. “So, to recap, if Rachel Dolezal says she is a man, we must all agree, on pain of being publicly censured,” Rod Dreher wrote in The American Conservative. “But if Rachel Dolezal says she is black, it is fair game to challenge her claim.”

In National Review, Charles C. W. Cooke wrote that “lies are not necessarily delusions, and it is possible that Dolezal is just a good old-fashioned fabricator,” but he predicted that people on the left would eventually come to her defense.

American history is full of tales of partly black people “passing” as white, trying to shed the burdens of an oppressed people, but doing the reverse is much rarer. A recent study of census data by Yale researchers says that in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as many as one-fifth of American black men posed as white at some point in their lives.

Faking a racial history, in either direction, raises difficult questions about what race is and why it matters, and about the assumptions people make.

Jim Crow laws often imposed a “one-drop rule” so that people with even a sliver of black ancestry, no matter how white they appeared, were legally considered black. It is only because of that history that Ms. Dolezal could be accepted as black, said Martha A. Sandweiss, a history professor of Princeton University.

“There was very little to be gained by identifying yourself as black, so if you did, no one questioned it,” said Ms. Sandweiss, author of “Passing Strange,” an acclaimed book about a man who did just that in the late 19th century. “It shows how absurd racial classifications often are.”

There have been other examples of white people living as black, in American history and culture, though not many. When in the company of his black wife and children, Clarence King, the subject of Ms. Sandweiss’s book, pretended to be a black Pullman porter, while in his parallel life he was a famous white geologist and surveyor with wealthy, powerful friends.

Mezz Mezzrow, a jazz musician who died in 1972, often passed as black, called himself “a voluntary Negro.” In his novel “Pudd’nhead Wilson,” set in the early 19th Century, Mark Twain skewered racial categories with the story of two infants who appear white and are switched — one a child of privilege, and the other a slave.Ms. Dolezal’s parents said that they each had a grandmother who was part Native American, but that otherwise, their ancestry is European. They said that for seven or eight years, friends and relatives brought to their attention that their daughter was telling reporters that she was part black. But they never discussed it with her, they said, and have not spoken with her since a falling-out two years ago.

Ms. Dolezal grew up in northwest Montana. When she was a teenager, her parents adopted four black children. After graduating from high school in 1995, she went to Belhaven College, now Belhaven University, a Christian school in Jackson, Miss., where she became involved in a “racial reconciliation ministry,” her father said.

Continue reading the main story

Recent Comments

Heather

3 minutes ago

I'm reminded of The Great Gatsby. Poor, ordinary Jimmy Gatz reinvented himself as the wealthy Jay Gatsby. He was ashamed to be poor and of...

Dan Broe

15 minutes ago

We have a President who is African-American, as he identifies. His mother was Caucasian by appearance. If this person who is accused by her...

HB

15 minutes ago

I'm inclined to think she created the hate mail & delivered it to herself.

• See All Comments
  • Write a comment

After college, she earned a master’s degree in fine arts from Howard University, a historically black school in Washington, D. C. In 2000, she married Kevin Moore, with whom she had a son, now 13; they later divorced. Ms. Dolezal worked from 2008 to 2010 at the Human Rights Education Institute in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, a short drive east of Spokane. Marilyn Muehlbach, a minister and board member of the institute, said Ms. Dolezal told people there that she was black.

People active in the Spokane chapter of the N.A.A.C.P. said she did the same there, but they requested anonymity because the chapter has not yet made any statement on the controversy. Ms. Dolezal was widely credited with breathing new life into the chapter, raising its visibility and membership in an overwhelmingly white region. A chapter official said the group’s executive committee would release a statement on Monday.

White people have held many positions within the N.A.A.C.P., and the national headquarters released a statement saying, “One’s racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for N.A.A.C.P. leadership,” but it did not address the issue of deception.

Guest JackoTC

Fuck me, the CC webhoster will be working hard to increase its capacity after that fucking lot. Why not just direct us to the Telegraph online ? Nazi.

Guest nobgobbler

Brought up with adopted black siblings, maybe she felt like she didn't fit in being white. I was at an event once and this little girl about 8 years old, whiter than an A4 sheet of Basildon Bond came up to me for some strange reason and announced "I'm black". Why would the kid do that? Unsure how best to respond I replied "Oh that's nice", whilst wondering what the fuck nonsense her parents have been filling her head with. Her mother white, her "father" black. Obviously not her father at all. And even if he was, the child was certainly not black. The other kids will just think she's a nutter and the poor little cunt's gonna get bullied to fuck. Fucking weirdo mother needs a good slap. What will they do when she's old enough to realise she's 100 per cent white? Buy her a minstrel face painting set? Cunts.

Guest Lady Penelope

Brought up with adopted black siblings, maybe she felt like she didn't fit in being white. I was at an event once and this little girl about 8 years old, whiter than an A4 sheet of Basildon Bond came up to me for some strange reason and announced "I'm black". Why would the kid do that? Unsure how best to respond I replied "Oh that's nice", whilst wondering what the fuck nonsense her parents have been filling her head with. Her mother white, her "father" black. Obviously not her father at all. And even if he was, the child was certainly not black. The other kids will just think she's a nutter and the poor little cunt's gonna get bullied to fuck. Fucking weirdo mother needs a good slap. What will they do when she's old enough to realise she's 100 per cent white? Buy her a minstrel face painting set? Cunts.

​It does happen, there have been a number of cases of black parents having white children (parentage proved by DNA tests)

Guest nobgobbler

​It does happen, there have been a number of cases of black parents having white children (parentage proved by DNA tests)

​Michael Jackson started that rumour:rolleyes:

Guest Lady Penelope

Or perhaps OP could truncate the story, add his own humorous; perhaps sarcastic, angry, or at least boring spin on it. 

I hate to speak for everyone, but I imagine people come here for escape from shite news, not constant links to it.

​At least with a link you don't have to scroll through the fucking whole pile of shit every time you want to read the next comment.

​At least with a link you don't have to scroll through the fucking whole pile of shit every time you want to read the next comment.

Well, yes, there is that. But as I said, quite clearly, it would be nice for a bite sized story of whatever the fuck is going on in said article, then the cunts are mentioned and properly cuntisized. 

It'd be a shame if this just turned into a link-share forum.

By the way, I apologise for cuntisized not being a word. Perhaps one day it could be.

Guest Lady Penelope

Well, yes, there is that. But as I said, quite clearly, it would be nice for a bite sized story of whatever the fuck is going on in said article, then the cunts are mentioned and properly cuntisized. 

By the way, I apologise for cuntisized not being a word. Perhaps one day it could be.

​Cuntisised please .. we are British!

Guest nobgobbler

​This is true. I couldn't be arsed to read it all. I like cuntisized. It should be added to the CC dictionary immediately.

Guest Lady Penelope

I am sure that Manila could have adequately described the nom in a few lines of text and a small picture rather than providing a rolling news panel.

Guest Lady Penelope

​This is true. I couldn't be arsed to read it all. I like cuntisized. It should be added to the CC dictionary immediately.

​It has already been added to the Cuntsford English Dictionary.

Guest Alfie Noakes

Well fuck me! I think I will have to admit to you all that I am not white, I am in fact an African Mongolian and I am setting up a society for the promotion of ethnic diversity in Svalbard.

Donations to the usual Cayman Islands account.