CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

Guest deebom

Guest deebom

So I recently bought  new laptop, a Lenovo. It's nice, very thin, large screen, a fuckload of RAM, hooge HD ect. But I had to spend an hour removing shite from it. McAffee anti virus bollocks, which wouldn't know a virus if it found one, which it doesn't. Some shit called Superfish who's sole purpose seemed to be slowing the boot process. Power DVD, of course not the full version but the povo one that pops up a box saying you have the shit version but can have the good version for £25. Cyberlink Power Director? Lenovo wireless, Lenovo webstart whatever the fuck that does. Lenovo updates to update the bloat. One key recovery, for people too fucking stupid to do a system restore should things go pear shaped on a brand new computer. And a whole load of other shit that seems to do stuff that Windows already does.

Why?

I would just wipe the lot and reinstall Windows, but we don't get Windows discs anymore do we? Fucking cunts.

Guest JackoTC

All technology is the same Bomba. It took me about a week to clear all the shit from my laptop. As for my Iphone, well fuck my old boots, the cunt has about 20 app icons on there that you cannot remove. Buying the gear is not enough. They want to pester you and fuck you off enough to squeeze another few quid out of you. The fucking big bastards.

Guest deebom

I have since discovered that if you have a legitimate copy of Win 8.1 with key, you can download another copy from Microflop. New installation here I come.

Got this too.

What in the name of screaming buggery fuck is 'Zinio'? 'newsXpresso' anyone? 'Cha Cha', even?

Probably FBI psy ops mindgames software, that let's the world know you're a kiddy fiddler if you so much as think about stepping out of line.

I'm not paranoid - although I know you all think I am.

Guest Snatch

I have since discovered that if you have a legitimate copy of Win 8.1 with key, you can download another copy from Microflop. New installation here I come.

​Apparently there should be Windows 10 coming out at the end of July.

Which will probably be Windows 8.1 with different name.

Guest deebom

And I have also discovered that I cant install the copy of Windows because it wont recognise my legitimate product key. It tells me to contact Lenovo. Some further Googling also tells me that I cant actually install any other version of windows, because the product key for this one is embedded in to the fucking BIOS.

So there we go. A computer that I have bought and paid for, which is mine, but I cant actually run it the way I want to. I think I'll send the fucking thing back.

Guest DingTheRioja

​Yep, you can download any single version from M$ Digital River (wot a fooking name...)

When my laptop goes wrong I take it to a dishy Austrian called Wolfgang who sorts it out. He can finger my USB anytime.

Ask to see his 3.5" floppy.

​Mines' a 5.25".... used to have a 9" once upon a time...

And I have also discovered that I cant install the copy of Windows because it wont recognise my legitimate product key. It tells me to contact Lenovo. Some further Googling also tells me that I cant actually install any other version of windows, because the product key for this one is embedded in to the fucking BIOS.

So there we go. A computer that I have bought and paid for, which is mine, but I cant actually run it the way I want to. I think I'll send the fucking thing back.

​There are, ahem, ways to solve that... and they are not strictly illegal either.. if your key says "Windows 8.1 64-bit Home Edition" then you can install it yourself...

All payments for assistence made out to Cheif Akabus' Spiritual Healing, or "CASH" for short....

Guest Snatch

​Find "PC Info" and there should be your Product ID.

Guest DingTheRioja

The upgrade finds the key itself and checks it. Doesn't like it, I'll ring Lenovo tommorra.

​I'm not talking about "upgrade", just download the full Windows 8.1 Installer and start from scratch, as though you have a new hard drive.

As a legitimate Windows license owner, you have the right to download the full Installer from M$, it's on there...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Guest deebom

​I'm not talking about "upgrade", just download the full Windows 8.1 Installer and start from scratch, as though you have a new hard drive.

As a legitimate Windows license owner, you have the right to download the full Installer from M$, it's on there...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

​I have it on a USB stick, but it asks for a product key. As there is no product key sticker on the bottom of new laptops it checks the product key embedded into the BIOS, checks to see if it's real then if it is, it carries on with the installation.

My problem is the shit version of Windows Lenovo gave me (Windows 8.1 with Bing 64bit.) This version is free to manufacturers, no license fee to pay, they can install it on all of their budget laptops but when it comes to reinstalling, Windows doesn't recognise the key. The manufacturers will apparently give you a recognisable key if you ask nicely.

Guest DingTheRioja

​I have it on a USB stick, but it asks for a product key. As there is no product key sticker on the bottom of new laptops it checks the product key embedded into the BIOS, checks to see if it's real then if it is, it carries on with the installation.

My problem is the shit version of Windows Lenovo gave me (Windows 8.1 with Bing 64bit.) This version is free to manufacturers, no license fee to pay, they can install it on all of their budget laptops but when it comes to reinstalling, Windows doesn't recognise the key. The manufacturers will apparently give you a recognisable key if you ask nicely.

​well, ask them nicely, then call them cunts and threaten them if the nicey nicey doesnt work...

when you go to the PC System page, do you not get the key there?

Guest deebom

Yeah I have the key. Windows doesn't recognise it. It wont recognise any key from that version of windows. Doesn't matter now, I nuked the drive and installed Win 8.1 pro that I got... Somewhere. Only thing is it wont boot in UEFI now, but works when I select legacy drivers. Seems a little slower to boot though.

Guest DingTheRioja

Yeah I have the key. Windows doesn't recognise it. It wont recognise any key from that version of windows. Doesn't matter now, I nuked the drive and installed Win 8.1 pro that I got... Somewhere. Only thing is it wont boot in UEFI now, but works when I select legacy drivers. Seems a little slower to boot though.

Ah... ​If I remember correctly, it's the Bing shite that fuck it up, my tablet is pure 8.1, no bloat and no fucking bing... thank god...

Not sure why UEFI wouldnt work, it's before windows kicks in... I presume you tried to the old "reset to defaults"..? but make sure you photograph the settings all over in case you need to set them back... or the factory "stick a needle into a plugged in electronic device of course its fucking safe" reset..? Sometimes cures boot issues for no fucking reason at all...