CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

Sadiq khan

Eddie

16 hours ago, Eric Cuntman said:

Alloy tips and nylon skirts? Sound like 'Prometheus' pellets to me. Don't use them. The nylon skirt gives them higher compression but leaves wispy streaks of nylon in the rifling grooves which is almost impossible to get rid of. Use 'Bisley Pest Control'. 

No skirts on these things. They’re heavy and resemble a naval shell! They did the job with the Weihrauch but they just don’t fit in this Gamo thing. Both .22 but I can’t find anything confirming marginally different bore sizes. I’m using Bisley Premiers and Gamekeeper Pest Control Pros. and some old hollow points.

7 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

Just bought a Fujifilm X100V (APS-C, mirrorless) as I've discovered a passion for street photography, what do you think about that?

A review is here .. not true mrrorless as it has a fixed lens. Looks to be a good posing camera capable of good results. Who needs a Leica label?

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/reviews/fujifilm-x100v-review

I didn’t buy the thing because of any ‘label’ it was a great camera and performed well. I’ve owned Fujis, Pentax, Canon and Nikon amongst others. The Leica was the bollocks and far superior to anything I personally have owned for the price. It was post-Minolta so maybe that tells you something. Be polite.

10 minutes ago, Dyslexic cnut said:

I didn’t buy the thing because of any ‘label’ it was a great camera and performed well. I’ve owned Fujis, Pentax, Canon and Nikon amongst others. The Leica was the bollocks and far superior to anything I personally have owned for the price. It was post-Minolta so maybe that tells you something. Be polite.

The Leica are rebadged Panasonics these days. As to Minolta I used a couple of Minolta lenses on a Sony A65 and A77, they served me well along with the camera and they live on with a friend .. these days I am Olympus M4/3 .. far from perfect but the cameras seem robust. Just been looking at the Fuji spec .. the focal length is equal to 37.. on 35mm .. a useful focal length for on the street .. I am tempted to dig my Oly OM-D EM5 out and stick the Sigma 19mm lens on it (equal to 38mm) and take to the street. The Fuji should of course be better because of the larger sensor and quality native glass.

16 minutes ago, Dawn Chorus said:

A review is here .. not true mrrorless as it has a fixed lens. Looks to be a good posing camera capable of good results. Who needs a Leica label?

https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/reviews/fujifilm-x100v-review

As Ken Rockwell says, Leicas are for fashionistas. Beguiling as Leicas are I didn't want to end up as a street robbery statistic. As for the Fuji, it looks like something made in 1960's but in fact is a 26mp beast built around a sharp 23mm f2 lens. With its milled aluminium top and bottom plates It looks and feels like a solid piece of precision quality engineering. Its worth adding the camera is made in Japan and not some other anonymous far eastern factory The other thing I like is instead of trawling through menus there are all metal dials for shutter speed, aperture, exp compensation and ISO, just like the old days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

As Ken Rockwell says, Leicas are for fashionistas. Beguiling as Leicas are I didn't want to end up as a street robbery statistic. As for the Fuji, it looks like something made in 1960's but in fact is a 26mp beast built around a sharp 23mm f2 lens. With its milled aluminium top and bottom plates It looks and feels like a solid piece of precision quality engineering. Its worth adding the camera is made in Japan and not some other anonymous far eastern factory The other thing I like is instead of trawling through menus there are all metal dials for shutter speed, aperture, exp compensation and ISO, just like the old days.

I like having the dials and also easy quick access to the backlighting (+/-) adjustment .. one modern trend I do not like is all this putting critical controls on the touchscreen and then having fewer dials.. in fact I am more than happy without touchscreen controls and switch them off where possible.

17 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

Discerning muggers down in your neck of the woods then? They’re not so picky up here.

Yes, that will have been a Leica. ‘Imitation is...’ as they say. You were clearly impressed by ‘the look’ you little fashionista you.

24 minutes ago, Dawn Chorus said:

The Leica are rebadged Panasonics these days. As to Minolta I used a couple of Minolta lenses on a Sony A65 and A77, they served me well along with the camera and they live on with a friend .. these days I am Olympus M4/3 .. far from perfect but the cameras seem robust. Just been looking at the Fuji spec .. the focal length is equal to 37.. on 35mm .. a useful focal length for on the street .. I am tempted to dig my Oly OM-D EM5 out and stick the Sigma 19mm lens on it (equal to 38mm) and take to the street. The Fuji should of course be better because of the larger sensor and quality native glass.

The R8 was post-Minolta, wholly German.

13 hours ago, Dyslexic cnut said:

Discerning muggers down in your neck of the woods then? They’re not so picky up here.

Yes, that will have been a Leica. ‘Imitation is...’ as they say. You were clearly impressed by ‘the look’ you little fashionista you.

The Leica does have the iconic red dot on the front, which sorta screams, "nick me, nick me" rather like a Rolex does. As I live in a rural aspect area, there is not much opportunity for street photography. Covid restrictions not withstanding, I do travel the country and abroad extensively and take the chance to mooch around city and town centres. That's another attraction of the Fuji - its considerably more portable and people do notice and freak out when faced with a DSLR camera with a chunky lens. A lot of people think I'm using an antique and aren't so bothered. I'm often asked, "how old is the camera?"

12 minutes ago, Cunty BigBollox said:

EOS 5D Mkiii with the £100 50mm f/1.8 STM lens. A very good lens for the price.

Absolutely, I love my old nifty-fifty. Canon have just bought out a replacement RF 50mm for the "R" cameras - at £200 a pop. For that money I'll keep my EF as it does just the same job with my adaptor.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

Absolutely, I love my old nifty-fifty. Canon have just bought out a replacement RF 50mm for the "R" cameras - at £200 a pop. For that money I'll keep my EF as it does just the same job with my adaptor.

The 50mm Canon works well with the Sony A7 via an adapter .. auto focus is iffy but focus peaking helps with MF.

54 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

The gun's 'n' ammo guys should take up photography, they can shoot stuff and no one gets hurt.

As far as I'm aware 'no one' has ever been hurt from my gun related activities. 

Ducks, geese, pigeons and game birds are another matter though, but I see no harm in shooting responsibly and taking a few birds for the pot. It certainly beats the hypocrisy of some (not an accusation) who happily eat meat but shudder at the thought of being involved in the killing or processing of those animals. I have to say I get as much enjoyment, if not more, out of observing wildlife as I do shooting it when I'm out in the field. 

16 minutes ago, Goober said:

As far as I'm aware 'no one' has ever been hurt from my gun related activities. 

Ducks, geese, pigeons and game birds are another matter though, but I see no harm in shooting responsibly and taking a few birds for the pot. It certainly beats the hypocrisy of some (not an accusation) who happily eat meat but shudder at the thought of being involved in the killing or processing of those animals. I have to say I get as much enjoyment, if not more, out of observing wildlife as I do shooting it when I'm out in the field. 

I've certainly got no issue with it, my brother has provided me with a good number of plump breasted birds over the years lollllzzzz. 

In all seriousness though, he absolutely loves it and I can see the attraction. Alas I've only ever shot clays, but I would love to give the real thing a try. I think there is something immensely instinctive about going out and bringing home food that wouldn't otherwise be on your table but for your own skill and actions. 

Personally I'd love to go deer stalking, but beyond my own romanticised fantasies about it, I've got absolutely no idea about the practicalities or legalities involved in it.