CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

European Courts and the Charlie Gard decision

Guest Mingeeta

Guest DingTheRioja
1 minute ago, The Beast said:

I think the point being missed by many, is the absolute futility of this child's situation. 

With such a rare condition and lack of research, the evidence simply isn't there that the proposed treatment would make any difference. 

No, your point about of the rarity and lack of research is the point, in my opinion, we need some research and shit as it sounds to some, here we have a live one...

The parents will beleive they tried everything, hopefully, maybe, there will be some informatino garnered about this condition to help the next poor bastard.

I get your issue, that at some point you have to turn off the lights, but when there is light, money for the leccy bill and someone to pay it, then have a go is my point.

You said earlier about teh 1 mill being used for research, not having looked at the murrican "treatment" I don't know if it's going to do jack shit, probably not, but they might find out that this does not work, so next time try something else... we learn from failure.as well as success.

Just now, DingTheRioja said:

No, your point about of the rarity and lack of research is the point, in my opinion, we need some research and shit as it sounds to some, here we have a live one...

The parents will beleive they tried everything, hopefully, maybe, there will be some informatino garnered about this condition to help the next poor bastard.

I get your issue, that at some point you have to turn off the lights, but when there is light, money for the leccy bill and someone to pay it, then have a go is my point.

You said earlier about teh 1 mill being used for research, not having looked at the murrican "treatment" I don't know if it's going to do jack shit, probably not, but they might find out that this does not work, so next time try something else... we learn from failure.as well as success.

I don't disagree with that. However, my point about futility is what it comes down to. If the child was not in such a critical state already, then I suspect the paediatricians would not have raised concerns about taking him abroad.

Another comparison. A surgeon would not perform emergency surgery for a ruptured aneurysm on a bedbound, end stage demented person because it is futile. It may be an opportunity for training surgeons to practice their skills, but ultimately it is cruel. There is a difference between that and giving everybody a chance.

Guest Wizardsleeve
1 hour ago, The Beast said:

Not a lot wrong with that, but in the eyes of the law, the rights of the child are paramount. This is an essential safeguard against erroneous parental decisions.

My issue with the medical boards making these decisions, "in the child's best interest," is that they are not connected to the child.  They are trained to be distant and clinically cold to patients because emotional involvement could create conflicts of interest or compromised judgement.  One would argue that's exactly why they should be making the decisions, but I believe that professional distance leaves out the final hours of comfort, privacy and dignity the child and the grieving family can provide.  Would want the human equivalent of a machine making such decisions for your loved one?  It's the same as taking a computer printout with recommended actions, and reciting it to people in terrible pain, without so much as a tear shed for the pain and suffering.  

Guest Drew P Pissflaps
9 hours ago, Mrs Roops said:

Lady P is correct. The European Court of Human Rights was set up by the 47 members of the Council of Europe to enforce the European Convention of Human Rights and is quite distinct from the 28 member European Union whose judiciary arm is the European Court of Justice. Under the Lisbon Treaty, the EU Commission of Human Rights refers human rights cases to the ECHR.

Women. Tsk. Do you have a piss at the same time too?

Edited by Drew P Pissflaps
although to be fair, it is correct.

3 hours ago, DingTheRioja said:

Your argument borders on advocating that the youngster be kept alive purely for purposes of medical research. Aside from having every clinical ethicist up in arms, no court would agree to this.

7 hours ago, Cuntybaws said:

Somebody has to decide. Your contention is that it should be the parents, whose sole medical qualification might be the ability to get the childproof cap off the Junior Calpol, and who are hardly impartial. You might be right, though, just fucking glad it's not my call. 

A like from Roops CB? You're dead to me

• Like 1

Guest DingTheRioja
45 minutes ago, Mrs Roops said:

Your argument borders on advocating that the youngster be kept alive purely for purposes of medical research. Aside from having every clinical ethicist up in arms, no court would agree to this.

Yes it does border on that, but it does not advocate it.  And as someone who used to work with Ethics Committees, you should see some of the shit consultants try to get away with.

Just now, DingTheRioja said:

Yes it does border on that, but it does not advocate it.  And as someone who used to work with Ethics Committees, you should see some of the shit consultants try to get away with.

Did anyone try to cross-breed humans with spiders yet?

11 minutes ago, Eric Cuntman said:

That film covers all bases for you CB, it's got an Ozymandias for a start.

And tits! I must dig out my old Doctor Manhattan avatar sometime.

Rorschach is my favourite, obviously, but I've got a soft spot for The Comedian, especially the scene where he shoots his pregnant lover. For some reason I can just picture the Rev doing that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cuntybaws said:

And tits! I must dig out my old Doctor Manhattan avatar sometime.

Rorschach is my favourite, obviously, but I've got a soft spot for The Comedian, especially the scene where he shoots his pregnant lover. For some reason I can just picture the Rev doing that. 

It's by far the best of the 'superhero' genre. Little touches that are wasted on the young or the thick, the Cyrano De Bergerac schnozz on tricky Dicky, who had maintained his presidency until the 80s. The Comedian was an excellent character, and the most real, explaining to Manhattan that it was his fault the pregnant Vietnamese girl died, by way of him not turning the gun to steam when he could have done. But Rorschach had the line that stole the film, "I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with ME".

Guest 'eavensabove
3 minutes ago, Eric Cuntman said:

Google 'Tony Harrison, Mighty Boosh'. All will become clear.

I did know that mate. Mind you, I cannot abide that cunt Neol Fieldman. What a 24 carat wanker HE is. 

Noel-Fielding-Never-Mind-The-Buzzcocks-5

19 minutes ago, 'eavensabove said:

I did know that mate. Mind you, I cannot abide that cunt Neol Fieldman. What a 24 carat wanker HE is. 

Noel-Fielding-Never-Mind-The-Buzzcocks-5

He is a cunt but I did like the mighty boosh. It's the only worthwhile thing he's ever done, fuck knows what happened to the beady eyed cunt who played Howard Moon though, Julian Barrett I think his name was.

10 minutes ago, Eric Cuntman said:

He is a cunt but I did like the mighty boosh. It's the only worthwhile thing he's ever done, fuck knows what happened to the beady eyed cunt who played Howard Moon though, Julian Barrett I think his name was.

Never liked it. Maybe it was too deep for me. Or it was just unfunny shite. 

Guest Drew P Pissflaps
15 hours ago, DingTheRioja said:

.. we learn from failure.

You've taught me a lot, Ding. Well done.

Edited by Drew P Pissflaps
is it even possible to be a successful failure?

11 hours ago, DingTheRioja said:

Well, I gave you the benefit of doubt - generous in the light of the following,

16 hours ago, DingTheRioja said:

...in my opinion, we need some research and shit as it sounds to some, here we have a live one...

...I get your issue, that at some point you have to turn off the lights, but when there is light, money for the leccy bill and someone to pay it, then have a go is my point...

I'm intrigued, you once "used to work with Ethics Committees"? In what capacity?