CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

Manufactured Outrage about Cambridge Analytica

Jiggerycock

Clearly a bunch of Tefal-Headed smartarse, mind-control cunts but why are we surprised?

We're so busy marketing this idealised notion of ourselves on social media, I mean who cares if it ends up we're getting our buttons pressed like a fucking computer game, eh?

It's all about 'how you feel and stuff' nowadays anyway, notwithstanding there's this thing called the Internet that allows you to find out anything about anything within minutes, that it took a trip to the library and a day with the Encyclopaedia Britannica to discover a generation ago and there should be no excuse for anyone not to be well-informed about issues if they choose to be.

Cambridge Analytica is just the '140-byte' world on steroids.

Guest White van man
7 hours ago, Jiggerycock said:

Clearly a bunch of Tefal-Headed smartarse, mind-control cunts but why are we surprised?

We're so busy marketing this idealised notion of ourselves on social media, I mean who cares if it ends up we're getting our buttons pressed like a fucking computer game, eh?

It's all about 'how you feel and stuff' nowadays anyway, notwithstanding there's this thing called the Internet that allows you to find out anything about anything within minutes, that it took a trip to the library and a day with the Encyclopaedia Britannica to discover a generation ago and there should be no excuse for anyone not to be well-informed about issues if they choose to be.

Cambridge Analytica is just the '140-byte' world on steroids.

I'm not on facebook or any social media apart from here. I know of some people who spew their all life stories out on them. My favourite is the Einstein's who have a countdown to their holiday, then leave the upstairs light on, so it looks like the full family is gathered on the landing, and then wonder how anyone knew they were away when they've been burgled on their return.

But these are the type who will kick off on Twitter about their data being stolen.

Guest Drew P Pissflaps
8 minutes ago, camberwell gypsy said:

I hate all that. The other day I got a call from someone asking if I ever had PPI? I told them "no but I've had conjunctivitis does that count?"

Ithangyow 

You're a woman so you wouldn't ever have PPI unless you were sucking on somebody else's. 

I would disagree with the nom's title that the current furore is manufactured outrage. In fact there are some very serious and far-reaching concerns. There are three issues here; firstly Cambridge Analytica ("CA") did not have permission to mine and process personal data with psychometric analysis for the purposes of targeted advertisements. The second issue is that Facebook, at the very least, should have been aware of what was going on. The suggestion is that they adopted a policy of plausible deniability by not checking on contractors when handing out data. Lastly, if the Chanel 4 sting is correct then CA have been involved in some seriously illegal entrapment activities, that is if the firm's pitch to the "Malaysian fixer" was more than sales hype.

5 hours ago, Mrs Roops said:

I would disagree with the nom's title that the current furore is manufactured outrage. In fact there are some very serious and far-reaching concerns. There are three issues here; firstly Cambridge Analytica ("CA") did not have permission to mine and process personal data with psychometric analysis for the purposes of targeted advertisements. The second issue is that Facebook, at the very least, should have been aware of what was going on. The suggestion is that they adopted a policy of plausible deniability by not checking on contractors when handing out data. Lastly, if the Chanel 4 sting is correct then CA have been involved in some seriously illegal entrapment activities, that is if the firm's pitch to the "Malaysian fixer" was more than sales hype.

And?

I don't notice coup and insurrection on the streets as a result of all this.

Don't get me wrong, what you say is undoubtedly true, but I detect a sense of ennui amongst the population, based on the premise that whilst we might not like having our (emotional) buttons pressed by a bunch of Algorithm Jockeys, this IS the path we've chosen when it comes to electing our leaders.

We're more easily swung by Jeremy Corbyn's hat being a sign he's in League with Satan, rather than having to go through the tiresome work of reading the Labour Party manifesto and deciding if what they are proposing is good for the country.

I should know. I actually read all three leading party manifesto's last Election, which makes me cunt of the century, doubtless.

Guest DrCunt
On 20/03/2018 at 4:53 PM, White van man said:

I'm not on facebook or any social media apart from here. I know of some people who spew their all life stories out on them. My favourite is the Einstein's who have a countdown to their holiday, then leave the upstairs light on, so it looks like the full family is gathered on the landing, and then wonder how anyone knew they were away when they've been burgled on their return.

But these are the type who will kick off on Twitter about their data being stolen.

Cunts Corner is surely antisocial media.

16 hours ago, Jiggerycock said:

And?

I don't notice coup and insurrection on the streets as a result of all this.

Don't get me wrong, what you say is undoubtedly true, but I detect a sense of ennui amongst the population, based on the premise that whilst we might not like having our (emotional) buttons pressed by a bunch of Algorithm Jockeys, this IS the path we've chosen when it comes to electing our leaders.

We're more easily swung by Jeremy Corbyn's hat being a sign he's in League with Satan, rather than having to go through the tiresome work of reading the Labour Party manifesto and deciding if what they are proposing is good for the country.

I should know. I actually read all three leading party manifesto's last Election, which makes me cunt of the century, doubtless.

...and its clear to me that most people haven't fully grasped what allegedly is going on. The problem with mainstream news channels is that 30 minutes is set aside for the daily digest of fresh headline content. The MO of Cambridge Analytica is complex and explaining this requires more than the two minute attention span that most news viewers can tolerate.

People assume that this is simply another case of targeted online adverts, for example someone searches for a review of say, a Ford Fiesta and reads an article on Autoexpress. Almost immediately the person will be hit with Ford Fiesta adverts not only on news sites but also on various social media sites. That is personally targeted advertising which most people understand and accept as the price for free access to the World Wide Web and its constituent parts. What CA was up to was far more insidious. Part of CA's pitch is that they operate like ghosts  - move in, do the job and clear out without anyone realising. CA were given access to the FB servers and trawled the personal data and content of its' users. The data was fed into 5,000 data sets and with the case of the recent US Presidential elections, identified via psychometric analysis, those deemed to be floating voters. The target group was then individually reassessed (again by psychometric analysis of uploaded comments) for basic fears and needs. Those people were then fed what appeared to be non-partisan content which addressed the fears and needs and subliminally manipulated them to vote for Trump. If true, then this was covert mind manipulation on an industrial scale. Nearer home, it has been suggested the same process was used to tip the balance in favour of the "Vote Leave" Brexit referendum. Certainly if one follows the money from the Vote Leave camp to entities associated with CA then questions need to be asked.

Now, it has to be said that CA whistle-blowers do have an axe to grind with their former employers and that the Chanel 4 expose simply recorded CA executives exaggerating their case whilst making a sales pitch to potential clients and that no-one really knows outside CA as to the efficacy of their product. That said, there is a lot to be concerned about and for the sake of transparent democracy questions do need to be answered.

Guest Alfie Noakes
18 hours ago, Jiggerycock said:

Only if you had included the ukip manifesto as well.

1 hour ago, Mrs Roops said:

...and its clear to me that most people haven't fully grasped what allegedly is going on. The problem with mainstream news channels is that 30 minutes is set aside for the daily digest of fresh headline content. The MO of Cambridge Analytica is complex and explaining this requires more than the two minute attention span that most news viewers can tolerate.

People assume that this is simply another case of targeted online adverts, for example someone searches for a review of say, a Ford Fiesta and reads an article on Autoexpress. Almost immediately the person will be hit with Ford Fiesta adverts not only on news sites but also on various social media sites. That is personally targeted advertising which most people understand and accept as the price for free access to the World Wide Web and its constituent parts. What CA was up to was far more insidious. Part of CA's pitch is that they operate like ghosts  - move in, do the job and clear out without anyone realising. CA were given access to the FB servers and trawled the personal data and content of its' users. The data was fed into 5,000 data sets and with the case of the recent US Presidential elections, identified via psychometric analysis, those deemed to be floating voters. The target group was then individually reassessed (again by psychometric analysis of uploaded comments) for basic fears and needs. Those people were then fed what appeared to be non-partisan content which addressed the fears and needs and subliminally manipulated them to vote for Trump. If true, then this was covert mind manipulation on an industrial scale. Nearer home, it has been suggested the same process was used to tip the balance in favour of the "Vote Leave" Brexit referendum. Certainly if one follows the money from the Vote Leave camp to entities associated with CA then questions need to be asked.

Now, it has to be said that CA whistle-blowers do have an axe to grind with their former employers and that the Chanel 4 expose simply recorded CA executives exaggerating their case whilst making a sales pitch to potential clients and that no-one really knows outside CA as to the efficacy of their product. That said, there is a lot to be concerned about and for the sake of transparent democracy questions do need to be answered.

Again, yes and again, understand it with the depth you clearly have and you are a good few miles down the road to 'mind control 2018' along the lines you've outlined.

However, I still stand by my basic premise.

Politically, we love having our tummies tickled, our prejudices re-enforced (be it 'Niggers start at Dover' to 'Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn!') and there's very few prepared to invest time getting hands-on and actually reading what these cunts have in store for us if they get over the threshold of Number 10. We're all busy with that whacky selfie or that Facebook posting of our new car or Twitter posting asking for the lyrics of the second verse of 'Don't look Back In Anger' after the next paedocidal terror outrage perpetrated by the religion of peace.

CA and their activity just takes all this information and inattention to the big picture, sticks a Bunsen burner under it, sprinkes a bit of cheese on top and sells it back to us, whilst laughing all the way to the cash-machine.

Guest White van man
1 hour ago, Mrs Roops said:

My guess would be that it was the governments remain campaign that targeted voters. Most people not on social media, older voters, voted to leave. The dopey youth who sucked up project fear diarrhoea like a sponge must have been nobbled. 

1 hour ago, Jiggerycock said:

...However, I still stand by my basic premise.

Politically, we love having our tummies tickled, our prejudices re-enforced (be it 'Niggers start at Dover' to 'Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn!')...

Indeed, but the point of the CA approach is that you're not aware that your tummy is being tickled. CA's success is about the average Joe thinking he has made up his own mind without any outside influence. That is what is so disturbing. FTR, the "Niggers start at Dover" to the "Ooooh Jeremy Corbyn!" mindsets are of no interest to the CA operation. They have already made their mind up even if they have not articulated such an opinion as psychometric analysis will identify them. The CA mind control only targets the floating voter and those who think they are neutral.

1 hour ago, White van man said:

My guess would be that it was the governments remain campaign that targeted voters. Most people not on social media, older voters, voted to leave. The dopey youth who sucked up project fear diarrhoea like a sponge must have been nobbled. 

The "dopey youth" will have been left alone. See above.

Guest White van man
2 hours ago, Mrs Roops said:

The "dopey youth" will have been left alone. See above.

They were targeted, we all were. They just cut out the social media data collecting middle men.

Cameron havested our data from the electoral registers to spread remain propaganda via leaflets to every household at a cost of £9million. I did not want my information to be used for this purpose. In my opinion, unless £9million was given to the leave campaign, which it wasn't, it's theft of public money. I think the public should be more concerned about this, than Cambridge Analytica and a few hashtags on twitter.

The biggest shock to me in this data collecting scandal is that channel 4 are still on air. I thought they'd wrapped up years ago.

38 minutes ago, White van man said:

They were targeted, we all were. They just cut out the social media data collecting middle men.

Cameron havested our data from the electoral registers to spread remain propaganda via leaflets to every household at a cost of £9million. I did not want my information to be used for this purpose. In my opinion, unless £9million was given to the leave campaign, which it wasn't, it's theft of public money. I think the public should be more concerned about this, than Cambridge Analytica and a few hashtags on twitter.

The biggest shock to me in this data collecting scandal is that channel 4 are still on air. I thought they'd wrapped up years ago.

Keep paying their male presenters more than their women ones and they will be.

It's always the 'right-on's that are sucking Fascist cock, isn't it?