CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

Cunts Who Don't Know How To Sharpen Kitchen Knives

Ape™️

Guest nobgobbler
21 hours ago, Ape said:

I really enjoy cooking and always keep my knives razor sharp. It's actually safer to use sharp knives, as there is no need for excessive force when cutting. I'm always horrified, when I use other peoples kitchens, at how blunt and useless their knives are. Anyone who purports to be a half decent cook should understand this.

Fuck off.

That's why they all buy sliced bread. Try as I may I just can't get the hang of the knife sharpening process. Anybody who can do it using a sharpening iron without cutting their own hand off deserves to live another day. I used to watch my dad sharpening our knives with an oil stone and he never cut his finger ends off once. I quite like having all my digits in place so I just buy a new knife!

Guest Wizardsleeve
7 hours ago, Ape said:

I use Japanese water stones. Only faggots use pumice. Lol.

Fuck off.

I use a three stone system with angled guide for precision.  As you said, it is safer, and cooking is made easier with sharp knives, and proper kitchen tools.  Punky is a dull, blunt tool, himself.  

31 minutes ago, Wizardsleeve said:

I use a three stone system with angled guide for precision.  As you said, it is safer, and cooking is made easier with sharp knives, and proper kitchen tools.  Punky is a dull, blunt tool, himself.  

Yes, I too use an angle guide. There's something strangely therapeutic about the sharpening process. Mrs Ape is a chef, so it's my job to keep her knives good and sharp.

Supplimental message to Punkape and Withers: fuck off.

3 hours ago, nobgobbler said:

That's why they all buy sliced bread. Try as I may I just can't get the hang of the knife sharpening process. Anybody who can do it using a sharpening iron without cutting their own hand off deserves to live another day. I used to watch my dad sharpening our knives with an oil stone and he never cut his finger ends off once. I quite like having all my digits in place so I just buy a new knife!

I'm brilliant at sharpening knives, axes and machetes, I have a vast collection of all the above and also hammers, pickaxe handles and baseball bats. Carborundum stones and diamond coated files are the best things for sharpening. Did I mention that I have the same mental issues as Fender.

Guest DingTheRioja
5 hours ago, Panzerknacker said:

Mm..most of what I eat comes in polythene bags or a ring pull can ..and point beats edge every time 

Panzerknacker 

Glue and Irn Bru?

4 hours ago, nobgobbler said:

I like sharpening knives, very therapeutic, especially using a steel, kind of sends me of into a trance sometimes.... Mrs D gets a bit worried...

2 hours ago, Wizardsleeve said:

You shouldn't need a guide, or use one actually.  Different knives, and different, steel need a different edge.  I've found a very fine sanding block gives a nice final smooth finish to some blades, especially the big chefs knife.

55 minutes ago, DingTheRioja said:

Glue and Irn Bru?

I like sharpening knives, very therapeutic, especially using a steel, kind of sends me of into a trance sometimes.... Mrs D gets a bit worried...

You shouldn't need a guide, or use one actually.  Different knives, and different, steel need a different edge.  I've found a very fine sanding block gives a nice final smooth finish to some blades, especially the big chefs knife.

Get a 1200 grit diamond coated file, you'll never look back, I have a Stihl hatchet that you can use to shave the fuzz off a peach, a strip of oiled wet and dry paper gives a similar effect too. Lose the knife steel though, they're for poofs like Gordon Ramsay.

Guest Wizardsleeve
2 hours ago, DingTheRioja said:

I use what the manufacturers recommend.  The steel is good for removing burrs and edge deformations from everyday use, and will hone the edge back to usable sharpness.  But after so many steel refreshings, knife manufacturers do recommend a thorough sharpening via a good stone.  Knowing you are taking the time and care to do it by hand and maintain your cutlery properly is therapeutic.  

Guest DingTheRioja
9 hours ago, Eric Cuntman said:

Get a 1200 grit diamond coated file, you'll never look back, I have a Stihl hatchet that you can use to shave the fuzz off a peach, a strip of oiled wet and dry paper gives a similar effect too. Lose the knife steel though, they're for poofs like Gordon Ramsay.

7 hours ago, Wizardsleeve said:

I use what the manufacturers recommend.  The steel is good for removing burrs and edge deformations from everyday use, and will hone the edge back to usable sharpness.  But after so many steel refreshings, knife manufacturers do recommend a thorough sharpening via a good stone.  Knowing you are taking the time and care to do it by hand and maintain your cutlery properly is therapeutic.  

The steel is purely for therapy, gets the knives nearly there, the sanding blocks I use are around 1200-1500 grit and being foam/sponge stuff are good for a proper edge.

Some people flick the knife through paper in the air to show off the sharpness, flicking it through a carrot is better (punkers, stop getting excited...)

8 hours ago, Wizardsleeve said:

The knives I use are Global - Japanese and sharpened at a completed different angle compared to European knives. When sharpening using water stones, a guide must be used (according to Global) as the process actually removes metal. Sharpening like this isn't needed that frequently as steel is so hard that the blade just needs realigning with a ceramic hone every couple of days. As you say, it's very therapeutic and satisfying.

24 minutes ago, Ape said:

The knives I use are Global - Japanese and sharpened at a completed different angle compared to European knives. When sharpening using water stones, a guide must be used (according to Global) as the process actually removes metal. Sharpening like this isn't needed that frequently as steel is so hard that the blade just needs realigning with a ceramic hone every couple of days. As you say, it's very therapeutic and satisfying.

I've also got Global knives, and they're a fucking cunt to sharpen because the steel is so incredibly hard. I take mine to a local kitchen shop about twice a year which has them professionally sharpened for £2.50 per knife, and it does a much better job than I could ever hope to. Consider a top-quality Japanese water stone costs around £80, it's a no brainer: £80/£5 per knife per year = 16 years of use for the same cost. With the amount of butter I cook with, there's an excellent chance I will be dead in 16 years or less.

8 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

I've also got Global knives, and they're a fucking cunt to sharpen because the steel is so incredibly hard. I take mine to a local kitchen shop about twice a year which has them professionally sharpened for £2.50 per knife, and it does a much better job than I could ever hope to. Consider a top-quality Japanese water stone costs around £80, it's a no brainer: £80/£5 per knife per year = 16 years of use for the same cost. With the amount of butter I cook with, there's an excellent chance I will be dead in 16 years or less.

Agreed - they are a cunt to sharpen, but due to the fact we have 14 knives, and that they are used professionally by Mrs A, I've learned the art. I actually quite enjoy it, like Wiz.

5 minutes ago, Ape said:

Agreed - they are a cunt to sharpen, but due to the fact we have 14 knives, and that they are used professionally by Mrs A, I've learned the art. I actually quite enjoy it, like Wiz.

I gave up wiz years ago! I live a clean existence nowadays, other than full-fat butter.

31 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

When going shooting, I've noticed that the fashion victims tend to have skinning knives that cost £50+, usually a stainless 'Buck or Gerber. I use a £7 Opinel, wooden handled folder, super high carbon forged blade and never go blunt. Stainless is fucking useless for practical application. Ray Mears always carries a small Opinel, and as survivalists go he's miles ahead of that exhibitionist cunt Bear Grylls, who is chief Boy Scout and therefore a pervert.