CUNTS CORNER TWITTER ACCOUNT ID @CuntsCorner ×
Donations towards site upkeep will be thankfully received and faithfully applied....

The BBC's response to DJ Sideman's resignation

Jiggerycock

You're all hip to the Zeitgeist or if not, capable of executing a Google search so you should be all over this

'Nigger' is a sound-wave or a collection of pixels, or ink or paint.

On its own, it is nothing.

Put in context, it can be everything.

But merely to ban the use of the word or to replece it with the stupidity of the phrase 'The N-Word' like we are all five years old, is to demean, dumb down and patronise us and I don't care who is doing the banning - black, white yellow, puce - because whoever it is is assaulting language itself....the means by which we communicate.....and I'm sorry, no one has the right to do that.

Being offended is a human condition but it does not confer power on the offended party, nor does it give them any special victim status.

"I was offended by that remark!"

"So what?"
(Steve Hughes - Aussie comedian)

You can't legislate away offensiveness no more than you can stupidity or bad manners. You can't censor people for merely using a word - you would, off the top of my head, be de-platforming Elvis Costello, Stiff Little Fingers and The Dead Kennedys, for starters. You HAVE to invoke context. 

....and you certainly shouldn't entertain any entreaties by parties offended by a word, to ban, censor or change, no matter how much they special plead their victim-status  I suppose 'Please be cool' isn't really the answer - although it should be - since we are incapable of thinking for ourselves and need higher powers (government, media, slebs, Twitter) to codify the minutiae of our entire lives and then patrol this for our own well-being.

We all know when someone is being aggressive with their use of language and at that point, yes, I have a problem with the user..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jiggerycock said:

You're all hip to the Zeitgeist or if not, capable of executing a Google search so you should be all over this

'Nigger' is a sound-wave or a collection of pixels, or ink or paint.

On its own, it is nothing.

Put in context, it can be everything.

But merely to ban the use of the word or to replece it with the stupidity of the phrase 'The N-Word' like we are all five years old, is to demean, dumb down and patronise us and I don't care who is doing the banning - black, white yellow, puce - because whoever it is is assaulting language itself....the means by which we communicate.....and I'm sorry, no one has the right to do that.

Being offended is a human condition but it does not confer power on the offended party, nor does it give them any special victim status.

"I was offended by that remark!"

"So what?"
(Steve Hughes - Aussie comedian)

You can't legislate away offensiveness no more than you can stupidity or bad manners. You can't censor people for merely using a word - you would, off the top of my head, be de-platforming Elvis Costello, Stiff Little Fingers and The Dead Kennedys, for starters. You HAVE to invoke context. 

....and you certainly shouldn't entertain any entreaties by parties offended by a word, to ban, censor or change, no matter how much they special plead their victim-status  I suppose 'Please be cool' isn't really the answer - although it should be - since we are incapable of thinking for ourselves and need higher powers (government, media, slebs, Twitter) to codify the minutiae of our entire lives and then patrol this for our own well-being.

We all know when someone is being aggressive with their use of language and at that point, yes, I have a problem with the user..

Fuck off.